[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/empjoyment/1-_Use_your_past_experiences_and_interests_to_provide_value_to_your_team_and_customers__Monette_Sommers_Senior_Product_Specialist_-_SurveyMonkey.mp3″ social_twitter=”false” social_linkedin=”true” permalink=”https://niiamahashong.com/monettesommers” ]
Throughout your career journey, you’ll likely find aspects of different roles and project that speak to you both in terms of interests and skills.
With your transition into tech, you’ll have the opportunity to find a role and contribute value to your team in a unique manner based on your personal background.
Monette Sommers has done exactly that in her career and share her tips and strategies for how you too can experience enjoyment through employment by bundling your unique set of skills.
While Monette’s experience has positioned her for success in her role, her drive to keep growing and learning allows her to continue exploring new opportunities and ways to experience empjoyment.
Listen now to learn how to:
- Identify a customer-centric platform and the ways businesses in tech are leveraging that to meet client desires and drive profits
- Position yourself to be chosen for stretch projects to help you add more tangible experience to your career story
- Take you past experience to add new value to new teams in different ways
TL;DL (Too long; Didn’t Listen): 3 Actionable Takeaways
- Raise your hand for projects that are outside of your day-to-day function to bring your subject-matter expertise while expanding your skills and network
- Take it upon yourself to build the skills you’ll need for your next role through courses, bootcamps, talking to people, or whatever works best for you.
- Connect the dots between what your customers are telling you and business needs/resources to make sure the voice of your customer is heard while meeting business objectives
But wait there’s more! Share your #1 takeaway with today’s featured Empjoyee and other Empjoyees in the Empjoyment community!
From Insight to Action
“If you want to be, do.” – John Lee Dumas
Monette walked us through a few examples of where she “raised her hand” to get exposure to something new
Your Joyney: Let us know “What project, type of work, or person would like you learn more about as you move to the next stage of your career, and you will do in the next 2 weeks to put yourself in a position to gain that experience “within the Empjoyment Community.
Additional Resources to Accelerate your Growth
- Find out more about Monette’s company: SurveryMonkey
- Connect with Monette on LinkedIn
- Build your skills online through: Udemy; Coursera; Girls Who Code; Code Academy; General Assembly; Empjoyment Community
- Continue finding empjoyment by seeing how Alaric Eby has been working in tech within a large financial company and loving it! – (Product Manager – American Express)
Getting to Know Today’s Featured Empjoyee: Monette Sommers!
Monette Sommers is a Senior Product Specialist at SurveyMonkey.
Originally from Manila, Philippines, Monette has developed her skills in customer success and product development while living in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and now in Portland, OR where she currently resides with her husband.
Check out Monette‘s LinkedIn profile for more info.
Spread the Joy to Help Others Experience Empjoyment
Kudos to you for taking another step towards experiencing enjoyment through employment through today’s episode.
If you find this podcast helpful, we would greatly appreciate if you took a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast in iTunes. They’re extremely helpful when it comes to helping new Empjoyees know that this is a podcast that really has their interest at heart. Plus, we read each and every one personally!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode, share the episode with one person you know who would benefit from today’s episode, and let us know if you’d like to share your story as a featured Empjoyee to help others learn from your experience too.