[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/empjoyment/19-_Apply_Your_Existing_Industry_Knowledge_to_Start_Your_Career_in_Tech_Liz_Sanders__Information_Systems_Project_Manager_New_York-Presbyterian_Hospital.mp3″ social_gplus=”false” social_linkedin=”true” ]
Have you thought about how valuable your industry experience can be within the tech world? We’re not just talking for startups and new tech companies, but throughout any type of organization. Often times, a background within a specific industry can prove a great differentiator for you as a candidate, and an immense value-add for employers. The best part is that this can be leveraged with or without technical skills or interest!
Liz Sanders, today’s featured Empjoyee, shares with us how her background as a pharmacist and in healthcare positioned her to play a much needed role driving digital tech projects as an Information Systems project manager for a large healthcare system.
Listen now to learn how Liz:
- Leverages her past experience in healthcare as a retail pharmacist to bridge gaps between multiple functions within a large hospital system
- Applies an agile project management mindset to bring time-saving applications to doctors and nurses in a fraction of the time of more traditional methods
- Describes real-life challenges and opportunities specific to the healthcare industry and how her background outside of tech uniquely positioned her to help solve them
TL;DL (Too long; Didn’t Listen): 3 Actionable Takeaways
- Pilot new initiatives with a smaller, targetted unit of people to build products faster and then expand from there
- Build sincere relationships (rather than “network”) by genuinely taking interest in topics and being curious
- Embrace that employers likely don’t need all of the qualifications listed for a role – if you meet the few important qualifications, then apply and learn on the job
But wait there’s more! Share your #1 takeaway with today’s featured Empjoyee and other Empjoyees in the Empjoyment community!
From Insight to Action
“If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!” – Sir Richard Branson
Liz recommends that we take advantage of opportunities that are available for us even if we don’t feel we’re ready, as we’ll learn what we need through the experience.
Your Joyney: Come share with us one opportunity that you took advantage of before you were “ready” and the experience that led to your success within the Empjoyment Community (use hashtag #joyney19).
Additional Resources to Accelerate your Growth
- Get to know Liz’s health care system: NewYork–Presbyterian
- Connect with Liz on LinkedIn
- Continue the discussion with other tech career changers who have been in your shoes in the Empjoyment Community
Getting to Know Today’s Featured Empjoyee: Liz Sanders!
Liz Sanders graduated from The State University of New York at Buffalo in 2011 with a doctorate degree in Pharmacy Practice.
Liz started her career as a pharmacist working at an independent retail pharmacy chain before making a switch to NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital to work in the Information Services department as a project manager.
Spread the Joy to Help Others Experience Empjoyment
Kudos to you for taking another step towards experiencing enjoyment through employment through today’s episode.
If you find this podcast helpful, we would greatly appreciate if you took a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast in iTunes. They’re extremely helpful when it comes to helping new Empjoyees know that this is a podcast that really has their interest at heart. Plus, we read each and every one personally!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode, share the episode with one person you know who would benefit from today’s episode, and let us know if you’d like to share your story as a featured Empjoyee to help others learn from your experience too.