[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/empjoyment/24-_Volunteer_with_Non-profits_to_Build_your_Portfolio_and_Impact_Beth_Awalt_-_Communications_and_Social_Media_Coordinator.mp3″ social_gplus=”false” social_linkedin=”true” ]
It’s tempting to construct and fall into a trap of feeling that you need to get a job in a space before you can actually start building your skills in it. We tell ourselves that we need “someone to take a chance” on us, so we can then build the skills to do the job. But we’re Empjoyees and we recognize that it starts with “us” taking a chance on ourselves. Believing enough in our skills or the development of them such that we can add value to the world now, without waiting on permission or a paycheck to make that happen.
That’s how Beth Awalt, our featured Empjoyee made her transition into the tech industry. By the time Beth was ready to find empjoyment through tech doing communications and social media, she had already organized a national campaign on a social media channel with tens of thousands of followers… through her volunteer efforts in her spare time. Beth takes the time to walk us through how you can also gain meaningful experience contributing to causes that you’re passionate about today.
Listen to this episode to hear Beth share:
- How she created a role based on her unique experiences to help non-profits with their online communications and social media
- How she took on an unpopular but much needed project to add meaningful and demonstrable impact to her organization and the people it serves
- Approach non-profit organizations with customized volunteer opportunities that align with your passions, commitment level, and experience that you can add to your career portfolio
TL;DL (Too long; Didn’t Listen): 3 Actionable Takeaways
- It’s ok to be strategic about your community involvement to build your portfolio of experiences and tangible projects for the roles you’d most like to have.
- Take on a problem/opportunity you experience at work right now take it upon yourself to create your own examples of your communication work – it’s even possible to do with free online resources (see below)
- There is beauty in doing the little things consistently and really well. Don’t lose sight of the impact you’re making even if there’s little fanfare around it.
But wait there’s more! Share your #1 takeaway with today’s featured Empjoyee and other Empjoyees in the Empjoyment community!
From Insight to Action
Beth’s Guiding Quote: “Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” Mother Theresa
Beth found her empjoyment over time through various volunteer opportunities. With these, she found areas that she specifically wanted to contribute to in the way that she wanted to contribute (e.g. took on just social media for large national youth leadership organization). Her recommendation to Empjoyees for action this week: find an organization to volunteer with (use Idealist or Volunteer Match if you don’t have any offhand), and ask to contribute in a way that both adds value to them and builds your project portfolio for your career change.
#Joyney24: Share with us how you can build your experience in tech by creating volunteer opportunities with organizations you are passionate about within the Empjoyment Community!
Additional Resources to Accelerate your Growth
- Connect with Beth on LinkedIn
- Find out more about the Non-profit Beth Cofounded: The Startfish Foundation (also with video)
- Free Online Communications resources
- Are you ready to experience Empjoyment as well? Schedule your complimentary 1-on-1 possibility exploration experience today
- Continue the discussion with other tech career changers who have been in your shoes in the Empjoyment Community
Getting to Know Today’s Featured Empjoyee: Beth Awalt!
Beth Awalt graduated from Villanova University in 2010 with a degree in Mathematics, and completed her Master’s in Emerging Media from Loyola University Maryland in September 2017. She currently works at a church and a school in Baltimore, focused on communications and social media coordination.
Beth also co-founded The Starfish Foundation, a nonprofit that provides educational support for students in Ecuador through scholarship, tutoring, and leadership development (http://www.thestarfishchange.org/)
Beth volunteers extensively for HOBY, the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Seminar, a non-profit that empowers youth to be the best leader they can be. She also serves her community as a leader with the young adult ministry in her parish, as well as collaborating on various committees for interfaith action in Baltimore, improved College of Liberal Arts & Sciences programs for graduate students, and more.
Spread the Joy to Help Others Experience Empjoyment
Kudos to you for taking another step towards experiencing enjoyment through employment through today’s episode.
If you find this podcast helpful, we would greatly appreciate if you took a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast in iTunes. They’re extremely helpful when it comes to helping new Empjoyees know that this is a podcast that really has their interest at heart. Plus, we read each and every one personally!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode, share the episode with one person you know who would benefit from today’s episode, and let us know if you’d like to share your story as a featured Empjoyee to help others learn from your experience too.